The pandemic has turned around the entire game of the fitness industry, causing personal trainers and other fitness professionals to venture out and provide online services.
Online fitness coaching enables fitness trainers to reach a broader audience. And because it is more pocket-friendly than in person training sessions in a local gym or home, the client acquisition and retention rate is also higher.
The question is how to get your fitness business online? How to make that switch? How to make people aware, reach the target audience, and attract potential customers? Is it difficult? Is it too expensive?
This blog is full of valuable information on everything you need to know about establishing an online fitness business successfully.
1. Identify your online personal training business model and your niche
As you are getting started with your online training business, it is important to pick a method of online coaching that suits your business model and works best for you and your clients.
Online fitness training provides a diverse range of options in a variety of styles. You can choose one way that best suits your business model, or you can mix a few different layouts at the same time to let customers pick the style and price point that suits them best.
Potential ways to structure your virtual fitness business include:
- Personal training: One-on-one live workouts where a personal trainer demonstrates exercises and coaches clients as they workout. It usually takes place through a video call. These sessions are designed based on the client’s goals and what helps them achieve results efficiently.
- Group coaching: A layout wherein the online trainer takes live sessions with a group of clients who like to do class together from their homes at an affordable rate. Because you can train more clients simultaneously, this model can help you build a community of like-minded people and expands your reach to more clients.
- Pre-recorded assets: For clients who prefer a self-paced approach vis a vis live one, a pre-recorded workout video or a PDF schedule works great. This model of virtual training will give your clients the convenience to workout according to their suitable time. For these clients, you can have a video library in place to reduce time spent in building workout schedules.
- Hybrid model: You don't have to follow just one model. Depending on the nature of your fitness business, you can create your own virtual training model by combining two or more of the coaching methods mentioned above. For instance, you can take live group sessions on certain days of the week and give your clients pre-recorded workout videos for the other days.
Every model mentioned above has its strengths, so you can be creative with the variations you offer and experiment with different ways to scale your online fitness business. Keep in mind that some online training models provide a more passive income stream than others, but then they also require a more consistent time commitment.
Finding your niche
Niche is a specialized area of expertise that’s uniquely you. It allows you to decide your 'ideal client' and what is that area of fitness which you are really good at. The key to having a successful fitness business is to make sure that you are catering to the right clients.
2. Set up your workstation
Now as you know your fitness or online personal training niche, the second step is to set up your online training workstation and then you're all set to roll!
- Reliable Internet Connection- A reliable internet connection is a must for any online business. And if you are planning to take live sessions, it becomes even more significant.
- Technical Equipment- There are abundant additional resources around fitness on the internet, like workout videos, healthy recipes, do's and don'ts guides, etc. To stand out, you must produce content that solves the problem of your 'ideal client' and helps them in their fitness journey. Ensure that the quality of your videos is top-notch. Further, the instructions or demonstration should be clear and easily understandable in the case of pre-recorded tutorials. If you plan on taking live sessions, you must ensure you have a well-functioning mic, a laptop, or any screen wherein you can see your client(s) clearly.
Bonus tip: As sound can make or break your video content, you can use a lap mic for recording your voice for your videos.
- Workout space- Having a designated training space will help you switch easily into the work zone. It will also give your online personal training clients a more professional impression. A training space wherein you can demonstrate the exercises easily with access to natural light can work wonders for your videos. Make sure the space is clean, with no distracting objects in the background.
- Access to proper light- Good lighting will give your videos a sharp and professional look. If you're relying on natural light, make sure you film near a window at the time when the light is the brightest.
Bonus tip: Alternatively, you can make use of artificial lighting. Invest in a good quality ring light as it is very handy and portable.
3. Get on the social media yacht like other personal trainers
No matter how great a personal trainer you might be, clients would not simply walk up to you if they don't know about you in the first place. Online fitness businesses need a good brand awareness strategy. And in today's day and age, social media platforms act as a powerful tool to attract and reach out to new clients.
Missing out on social media would mean missing out on opportunities where your potential clients congregate. Building an online presence will establish you as an expert fitness professional and help you gain visibility.
You can start with creating an Instagram account or a YouTube channel. You can upload workout videos, client testimonials, industry news, personal tips, etc., on your account to familiarize your audience with your brand and offerings. Because most trainers already upload fitness content, paid advertising can work wonders for you to lure more customers. This will also assist you to stay ahead of your competitors.
This is the stage when you will begin to generate leads, which can then be converted into full-time clients.
4. Train clients with your own fitness app and personal training software
Now that you have your workstation ready, clients lined up, the most important component of your online fitness business becomes clear: how do you manage it?
You might be wondering whether to use spreadsheets, email, and google drive links to deliver workout videos or even WhatsApp chats! But that sounds too complicated, right?
Don't worry, we've got you covered.
FitBudd enables you to deliver an exclusive coaching experience to all your clients online with your own custom branded fitness app.
FitBudd offers 100+ cutting-edge features for you to deliver not just an interactive workout experience but also create nutrition plans, track performance, store client's workout details, engage with them, and much more!
From design to development and updates, FitBudd will assist you at every step of the way.
These areas of focus are essential to putting your fitness business on the digital landscape. Transitioning your fitness business to a digital model will serve you well not only during this crisis but in the long run as well.
Book your FREE trial now!
Discover the Best Resources For Personal Trainers
Download FREE E-books and Templates to Boost Your Business's GrowthDownload Now for Free
These functional templates have the power to make any fitness trainer's life easier.