If you are reading this, you might be among the 1.6% of Americans who are underweight. Or you might have recovered from a medical condition and want to gain weight. Whatever your reason, you are at the right place to learn how to gain weight healthily.
Definition of Underweight
People with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of less than 18.5 is underweight, where 18.5 to 25 is normal, and a BMI above 25 is overweight. The reasons for being underweight could be any of the following:
- Eating disorders
- Thyroid issues
Issues With Being Underweight
While being lean is acceptable, being underweight is a cause for concern. Being underweight due to nutritional deficiency leads to increased health risks. It impairs:
- immune system
- increases the risk of infections
- bone deformities, and more.
And being underweight due to poor muscle mass affects your physical performance.
Being underweight also leads to mental health issues. Skinny people are often the targets in a society where body shaming is rampant. Stress and depression are the concerns.
Without knowing that the answers to their problems are simple, people make them complex and often surround themselves with questions like:
- How to gain weight fast
- How to gain weight in a week
- How to gain weight fast for skinny people.
The question is whether it's possible to gain weight fast and healthily. The answer is - Yes, it is, and the following strategies will help you put an end to your question of how to gain healthy weight.
Strategies: How to Lose Fat and Gain Weight With Fast Metabolism
- Increasing weight through diet
A pro tip on how to gain weight in a week is to eat more. There is no shortcut to it.
The first and foremost thing you need to do in your weight gain journey is to increase the daily calories you take. Have more calories than your body requires since the excess calories convert into fat/muscle mass depending on your physical activity.
If you need clarification about how many calories you should increase, use a calorie calculator to determine your regular uptake and build from there. Initially, you can raise it by 300-500 calories and gradually take it to 700-1000.
Tips on how to gain weight fast in 1 week through diet:
- Bolster protein intake - The answer to the question of - how to gain weight for females often lies in one word - Proteins. An essential element for muscle building and skeletal growth, you can get protein from items like:
- Protein shakes,
- Dairy products
- Carbs and fats - If you're confused about losing weight and gaining muscle, rely on expert advice and restrict your carbohydrate and fat intake. However, if you're trying to gain weight, you must consume them more as they provide you with many calories. Foods rich in carbs and fats are:
- Whole grains
- Fruits and vegetables
- Nuts and seeds
- Olive oil
- Dairy products
- Energy-dense foods - If you are intrigued by how to gain fast in 1 week, the answer is to shore up on energy-dense foods. These foods are a complete package of protein, carbs, fats, and many essential nutrients. Snacking up on such foods and including them in your main course is a sure way to gain weight fast. Examples of energy-dense foods are:
- Peanut butter
- Dark chocolate
Increasing weight through high metabolism
The body's natural process of breaking down energy is known as metabolism or metabolic rate. Our body expends energy while resting, known as Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR).
By exercising and doing other strenuous activities, the body expends more energy resulting in fat loss. So, if you're wondering how to gain weight with a high metabolism, remember that it's the wrong strategy.
When you have a high metabolism, your body burns more calories, so you need to increase your food intake to keep up. Fast metabolism indirectly helps you gain weight by making you take up more food. Compliment the high metabolic rate with high-calorie intake, or else there is no benefit.
Tips on how to gain weight through a fast metabolism:
- Strength training: Building muscle is the sure way to up the metabolism. After a session of muscle building, your whole body gets activated, increasing the metabolic rate. The answer to the question of how to lose fat and gain muscle lies in strength training. The body utilizes fat deposits and turns them into muscle mass when you lift weights.
- Snack Smart - Snacking three to four times on energy-dense foods elevates your metabolism.
- Hit it with HIIT - High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is a proven method to boost metabolism. The body stays metabolically active even several hours after a HIIT session.
- Add Chili to Meals - The component capsaicin in chilies heats the body, thereby speeding up the body's metabolism. Spicy food items like ginger, black pepper, and others have a similar effect. So, add them to your meals and boost your metabolism.
- Stay Hydrated - Metabolism slows down if you drink less water. A study suggests that water can increase the body's metabolic rate by 30% for half an hour after drinking. But avoid drinking water before having food as it reduces your appetite and calorie intake.
Increasing Weight By Changing Habits
Some small behavioral changes can significantly help you in your weight gain journey:
- Use a big plate - It is to increase your portion size. So you can get more calories.
- Good night's sleep - Resting your body for 6-8 hours is essential to reduce stress, recover, and build muscle.
- Quit smoking and drinking - Smoking and drinking are the two most harmful habits that disrupt the body's regular functioning. Quit them, and you will gain weight.
- Maintain a food journal - Keeping track of what foods you are eating and when will help you understand any shortfalls in nutrient uptake and make up for them.
By following the above strategies, you can gain weight the right way. Instead of artificial supplements and harmful medications for gaining weight, we have curated the best alternatives and suggestions that provide you with a healthy and natural route to gaining weight.
But before going on a weight-gaining journey, consult your doctor or dietician to know about any underlying conditions and foods that suit you better.
Be consistent in your efforts, and the result will soon show up. A healthy body is in the making.
Discover the Best Resources For Personal Trainers
Download FREE E-books and Templates to Boost Your Business's GrowthDownload Now for Free
These functional templates have the power to make any fitness trainer's life easier.