10 Morning Habits You Should Stop Doing As a Trainer
If you are a trainer with a proper fitness regime, you must pay attention to many things besides exercising and eating right. Though these two aspects are most important to maintain good health and a fit body, there are other factors that you need to take care of as well. A couple of do's and don'ts are crucial in this regard. This blog will inform you, especially the morning don'ts. The morning is an essential part of the day. A bad and unhealthy start to the day can lead to an unhealthy and negative day. It is human nature to take our mornings for granted and go about our daily routine; however, one bad daily morning habit can significantly affect our health.
If you are a fitness freak and religiously follow a daily exercise routine and eat all things right, yet not able to see the desired result, then there's something that you are doing wrong for sure. It's because fitness is a lifestyle and not just an exercise regime. A famous saying goes, "nourish your body, don't punish it."
Whether it is the absence of diversity in your morning workout plan or missing out on important nutritionally beneficial foods, something might be coming in the way of your dream body. You only have to identify where you are going wrong in your morning routines. Here we have enlisted the ten most common morning habits you should stop following as a trainer. Scroll down to know more!
1. Don’t Sleep too long - Wake Up Early
Proper sleep is essential. Your metabolism works at its peak while you sleep at night. Sleeping late at night on Netflix or scrolling on your smartphone is today’s unhealthiest habit. Health experts suggest that you should sleep early, or at least start sleeping as early as 9 PM or by 10 PM, to attain the maximum health benefits of sleeping.
Sleeping on time will allow you to wake up early and be refreshed. Wake up by 6 AM, and begin with your morning routine. There are several benefits to waking up early, especially for fitness trainers. It will allow you to work out as the first activity in the morning. Your chances of missing out on your morning workout or doing it in a hurry because of the fear of getting late are minimized.
Early rising is a mood lifter and brings you a positive attitude for the rest of the day. Getting up early in the morning is also linked with making healthier choices, such as eating healthy foods, feeling happy, and being more active throughout the day. So, if you are continuous with a good sleep pattern, that is, sleeping early and waking up early, then you are most likely to establish a proper morning routine, including a great fitness regime.
2. Avoid Coffee
Coffee is often considered a healthy beverage, and black coffee is always a favorite of health freaks. However, there's more to your favorite beverage, and you need to know about it. Your cup of morning motivation has got a dark side to it.
Drinking coffee in the morning is known to cause an increase in cortisol production which is already at its peak in the morning hours. It can cause increased blood sugar levels and also insulin resistance. Excess amounts of cortisol in the body can cause weight gain, insomnia, and a poor immune system.
Coffee has also been linked to gut-related problems such as acid reflux, gastric issues, damage to the lining of your stomach, and indigestion and heartburn. It can also cause stress and anxiety issues.
While many people enjoy their morning cup of coffee, if you are looking forward to a healthy and fit life, it is suggested that you avoid coffee in the morning and refrain from consuming it in large quantities. You can have a coffee at noon, about an hour after lunch. Just one cup a day would be enough.
3. Don’t Skip Breakfast
Breakfast is not only the most important but also the most delicious meal of the day. If yours is not, then it should be! If you are striving towards weight loss goals and good health, then make sure you never skip breakfast, as skipping it can lead to negative effects and hamper your fitness objectives.
So make sure you enjoy your favorite bowl of oatmeal, avocado toast with egg whites, some scrambled eggs, or whatever feels perfect for your preference and health every morning. There are numerous benefits of eating a hearty breakfast. Let us know some of the crucial benefits of not skipping breakfast!
- Breakfast helps to avoid cravings: A protein-rich breakfast plays a big part in keeping you full throughout the day, thus, avoiding unnecessary cravings. It enables you to make better food choices and promotes portion control later in the day.
- Breakfast keeps you active all day: A nutrient-dense breakfast will keep you active the whole day and make you feel satiated.
- It helps reduce stress: A good breakfast keeps you stress-free throughout the day, prevents overeating, and improves the circadian rhythm.
- Breakfast can boost workout performance: Eating a nutritionally packed breakfast with a good blend of carbs and protein about 2 hours before a workout can improve your exercise performance and help burn more fat.
4. Don’t eat Junk food - Eat healthily
Thinking of "how to stop a bad habit permanently?" Then binging on junk food must be at the top of the list! Junk food is nutritionally poor and should never be a part of your food habit, especially your morning food habit. Junk foods are high in salt, sugar, trans fat, preservatives, and other processed ingredients. Consumption of junk food is known to cause the following health issues:
- High blood pressure
- Blood sugar spike
- Increased inflammation throughout the body can lead to asthmatic attacks
- It encourages binge eating and causes more cravings for such foods
- Obesity is the major cause of fast foods as immense weight gain is commonly seen
- Digestion issues such as constipation, diverticular disease, and harm to healthy gut bacteria
- Loss of immunity is seen, and chances of infections increase
If you are working towards a fitness goal, consuming junk food will take a huge toll on your body. It is better to avoid any junk food in the morning. You can have it in proper proportion once a week but not in the morning.
5. Avoid Dehydration - Drink Plenty of Water
Keeping yourself hydrated is very important, especially if you want to lose weight. While fluids should be an important part of your morning routine, water is the best fluid you can intake. Not drinking enough water and lack of hydration can lead to the following problems:
- Increase in heart rate
- Increase in body temperature as the body cannot regulate heat when dehydrated
- Lack of energy and always feeling fatigued
- Poor decision-making abilities, motor control, and concentration are seen
- Gastric problems
- Poor workout performance
- Low metabolism
- Muscle cramps
- Dark colored urine
The best solution to combat all the problems mentioned above is to drink a good amount of water in the morning. If you are working out in the morning, keep sipping water to compensate for the sweat loss from your body and keep yourself energized. It will increase your endurance level and avoid excess body temperature and heart rate increase.
After you are done exercising, it is suggested to drink at least a liter of water within 2 hours of finishing the exercise. Drinking water should be a part of your healthy morning routine.
6. Don’t Skip Meditation
Meditation and a morning workout routine can give you the best fitness benefits. An ancient practice where you need to focus on your inner self to reach an emotionally calm and mentally clear state of mind, meditation also allows you to concentrate on proper breathing. Meditation in the morning helps bring balance to your body while maximizing your physical stamina, helping you achieve the most out of your workouts.
Meditation is further known to avoid depression. In the current times, almost every individual is suffering from depression and anxiety. Most health experts suggest regular morning meditation as a safe and highly effective way to treat depression. Meditation is a fabulous way to boost your confidence, improve your mood, feel more energetic, and combat many mental and physical health issues.
For fitness trainers, it is even more important to practice your regular exercises with a combination of a meditation routine, as combining exercise with meditation aids muscle building. With its immense stress-relieving power, meditation can greatly help improve stamina and balance growth hormones required for muscle building.
Meditation is a way to train your mind, just like exercise is a way to train your body. If you are worried about 'how to stop bad habits, addictions" such as smoking, or anger issues, then meditation can greatly help you with this. With countless health benefits, meditation works beautifully in improving your quality of life. It enables you to change your perception of any trauma or difficult circumstance you might have experienced and allows your mind to handle pain more effectively.
7. Avoid Hot Showers
Most trainers have a hot shower in the morning. The common notion is that it helps muscle relaxation after a workout session. However, it is a myth, and you need to know about this aspect in detail before concluding. Daily hot showers can lead to several problems, some of which are listed below:
- Hot showers can cause skin drying and irritation. It can rob your skin of moisture and damage the keratin cells of the epidermis, which is the outer skin layer.
- Hot showers can worsen some skin conditions, such as eczema.
- A hot shower can lead to itching on the skin.
- Hot showers can lead to high blood pressure, and it is advised that people with high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease should refrain from this practice.
Most individuals crave a hot shower in the morning, especially if the weather is cold. However, it is suggested that you can take a hot shower once in a while in the morning and not regularly. The best time to take a hot shower is at night before going to sleep, as a hot shower will help you get a sound sleep.
8. Don’t Skip Workout
You can never attain your fitness goals if you do not work out. Morning workouts are undoubtedly the best part of your healthy daily schedule. Always be consistent with your workout routine, and never skip your morning workout. It is suggested to take an off twice a week. There are many reasons why you should work out in the morning. Let's see what they are!
- There are fewer distractions in the morning, like no phone calls or messages to attend to, and you have not started your daily to-do list yet.
- It is less hot in the morning, especially during the summer months; therefore, it is best to exercise in the morning, especially if you are out in the open.
- Morning exercise will likely encourage you to make healthier food choices later in the day.
- It reduces stress and makes you feel more positive.
- It boosts stamina and endurance and reduces fatigue.
- It improves workout performance and metabolism.
- It also improves concentration and uplifts your mood for the entire day.
- It supports weight loss.
- It helps to control your appetite by decreasing the hunger hormone ghrelin
- It helps to control conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiovascular diseases, etc.
- It helps you to sleep better.
9. Failing to Set Your Priorities - Set a Goal for the day
As a person of positive thoughts, who starts his day in the early morning hours, you must set your goals for the entire day in advance. Yes, prepare your to-do list for the day in the morning itself. If you have a hectic schedule and face grueling demands in your personal and professional life, this habit will help you greatly. Here you can see the best benefits of setting your priorities for the day in advance!
- It helps you keep your thoughts organized and attain clarity and direction in doing things correctly and at the right time.
- It helps you prioritize your activities and determine what needs to be done first.
- It helps you to organize your day better by allowing you to do things on time and refrain from last-minute rushing.
- It acts as a catalyst to push you to give the best shot to get your tasks done.
- It keeps you informed and accountable; just in case you miss out on a certain task, you know what needs to be done the moment you get some time.
- It allows you to feel good about the fact that you accomplished your goals for the day and make you feel motivated and happy.
10 . Avoid Rushing
One of the worst things you can do is rush things in the morning. If you wake up on time and have your to-do list already set, then there is no need to rush things. Wake up fully, shower, have breakfast, meditate, exercise, and then go about your day.
Rushing around with a cup of coffee and toast, and running out of the house with untied shoelaces, cannot be in your best interest, and you need to slow down. Make sure that you do not use your phone in the morning hours. It is a bad habit that can cause unnecessary waste of time, leading you to rush for important tasks.
So, keep away from mindless scrolling, whether on Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, or any other platform.
Realize that life is not a race and that starting your day will affect how you go ahead with the rest of the day. If you have things planned, go by the plan so you do not have to haste. A slowed-down morning contributes to a positive and accomplished day. Just breathe, relax, and take it easy!
The best morning habits promote health, wellness, and productivity. If fitness is your priority, ensure that you abide by our guide to achieving everything on your wish list. You might be doing certain things wrong all this time; it is time to identify your flaws, rectify the wrong things, and transform your mornings from good to great.
Prioritize the activities that have the potential to alter your health and mind for the better. Opt for a morning regime that promotes happiness and efficiency, encourages fluidity of life, helps you attain your goals, and supports your personal-professional life balance.
Morning hours are limited yet magical. How you use these special hours determines your potential to go about successfully for the rest of the day. Remember, the morning routines of successful people have all the aspects mentioned above; they never waste their mornings. We hope that this guide has helped empower you to make the right decisions and make the most of your morning hours to achieve your fitness goals with ease and perfection.